Sunday, January 25, 2015

GastroSmiths Bistro & Bakery - Singapore

Hey, Yolks! My first post will be about GastroSmiths Bistro and Bakery. This little place is located at the quiet end of Tan Quee Lan Street, the street is just behind Bugis Junction building. The venue is not out of the box, I just like how it's hidden from the crowd and eventhough I was seated outside, I can enjoy my lunch without being interrupted by too many passing by strangers.



Sea-ly Eggs
scottish smoked salmon, marinated nori, chilli oil
S$8.5

One of the appetizer was Sea-ly Eggs, it was 63 degree eggs (which were hidden under the smoked salmon and nori in the picture) served with a toast. Despite the humble look, the toast was surprisingly good. We were supposed to spread the mix of smoked salmon, eggs, and nori on top of the toast. Though there was nothing really special, it was decent, a very cheerful kind of dish to start my day.

Crispy Chicken Bites
sake ginger marinate, house-blend dip
S$10

Another appetizer that we ordered was Crispy Chicken Bites, the crispiness was just nice and it was completed with their special dip that has the right kind of tanginess and a little bit of sweetness. Personally, I like the dish, but maybe I could find a better one outside.

Seafood & Rice
seasonal seafood, japanese rice, paprika
S$26

I am a big fan of porridge, risotto, mashed potates, and other creamy kind of carbs; and this seafood rice right here somehow had the same texture of risotto, which I REALLY LIKE. The plate was full of heartwarming ingredients, a little sweet here, a little sour there, and also a little spicy. The scallops, fish and prawns were cooked perfectly, unlike the rubbery kind that we usually find in the typical Chinese dish. If I ever got sick and need something warm and comforting, I'll definitely want to eat this dish. You see that strings that were placed all over the plate? Those are Japanese shredded dried chilli called Ito Togarashi. It's spicy and I love it.

Chorizo Iberico balsamic mayo, gruyere, arugula S$15  Have I mentioned that their bread is delicious? If I haven't, please forgive me and let me say it again, THEIR BREAD IS DELICIOUS! Yes, they bake their own bread, and it probably tastes better than Nam Nam sandwich bread (which I'm a fan of), oh how I still can imagine the texture of the bread. Yum. Pardon my breadgasmic moment. Anyway, let's get to the overall dish, the sandwich was filled with chorizo and iberico ham with balsamic mayo, gruyere, and arugula. It was a perfect and nothing less. I was just a bit annoyed by the presentation, how they only put a few of gem lettuce and a sprinkle of chilli flakes as the garnish.
Chorizo Iberico
balsamic mayo, gruyere, arugula
S$15

Have I mentioned that their bread is delicious? If I haven't, please forgive me and let me say it again, THEIR BREAD IS DELICIOUS! Yes, they bake their own bread, and it probably tastes better than Nam Nam sandwich bread (which I'm a fan of), oh how I still can imagine the texture of the bread. Yum. Pardon my breadgasmic moment. Anyway, let's get to the overall dish, the sandwich was filled with chorizo and iberico ham with balsamic mayo, gruyere, and arugula. It was a perfect and nothing less. I was just a bit annoyed by the presentation, how they only put a few of gem lettuce and a sprinkle of chilli flakes as the garnish.  

Lychee Ice
lychee granita, lime, lemon tea jelly, pineapple
S$11.5

We had Lychee Ice for dessert, since we already felt so full, we just want to eat something refreshing and tangy as our dessert. They served the nicely plated granita with chervil (french parsley). What's that? Parsley, you said? Yes, I hate parsley, but in this dessert, it blended quite nicely with the whole thing.


GastroSmiths Bistro & Bakery
103 Beach Road,
Tan Quee Lan St., 189704
Phone: 6336 3680
Tue - Thu: Lunch 12pm - 2:30pm, Dinner 6pm - 9pm
Fri - Sat: Lunch 12pm - 2:30pm, Dinner 6pm - 9:30pm
Sun: Lunch 11:30am - 3pm
Closed on Mondays

Pricing: $$
Rating: 8.5/10

2 comments:

  1. I don'y know how to say ngiler in english.~ But I thing I would like to eat the seafood and rice. It's quite unique for me. Because of all these review I feel hungry right now. ~ maybe I should buy a ticket to Sg today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah come to Singapore for a short vacation! It'll be fun! Thanks for the comment, dude, keep writing about your sekoci kecil! Certainly will be back for more :D

      Delete