Friday, February 6, 2015

The Best Greek Food in Town: Blu Kouzina - Singapore

Hello, hello! Another week, another adventure! Are you up for Greek food? I know I do! I was craving for it, so I decided to go to this restaurant called Blu Kouzina. It is located at the Bukit Timah area, not so walkable from the MRT station, but you can take the bus to get there. Although it is quite far from my house, but my crave of Greek food was strong enough to get me there (kidding, I was taking the taxi :p). This is actually my second time eating at this restaurant, from what I know, this place has been in Singapore for a couple of years already and it has been one of the most favorite Greek restaurant in Singapore. 

The interior is traditional, warm and homey, with blue and white color theme, trying to get that Santorini feel. The decoration is also very detailed and full of efforts, they really try to make people feel like they are in Greece. It is a 2 storey restaurant, and when I was there, it was packed during lunch time. The owner (a Caucasian, Greek) was really helpful and friendly, he really treats his customers as if they are his own family. The first thing they served us was a small bowl of bread loaf which had been sliced for our convenience. There are two ways to eat the bread, either we dip it in olive oil or spread the salted butter on top. Well, we did both and it was great, the bread was fresh and the olive oil tasted rich and intense.



Talagani 
Sheep milk cheese from Messinia topped with Blu sauce
S$17.80

The first course was Talagani, it was served with Blu sauce (their own sauce), that has a slight balsamic flavor. I actually like this dish, but small reminder, please do order your pita bread to be paired with this dish, The cheese was obviously salty by itself (duh), I cringed on the first bite, because I did not eat it together with some bread or rice.

Pita
Grilled pita with organic sea salt and paprika
S$3.50

And this is the Pita bread that I was talking about. The look of it was simple and understated, but the taste was great. I also loved the texture of this bread, crispy and very light, not everyone can make decent Pitas like this. Oh and please do pair it with the Talagani.

Spanakopita
Phyllo* pastry filled with spinach, feta cheese, and herbs
S$14.80

Phyllo (or filo) is some kind of very thin unleavened dough, often used for making pastries in Middle Eastern or Balkan cuisines. This dish is a phyllo-based dished, it was made by layering many sheets of phyllo and filled with spinach, feta cheese, and herbs. I really like the dish and I thought it was something that can be my regular snacks, but I guess it will be hard since not a lot of people sell it in Singapore. If you are a big fan of spinach and cheese combination, like I am (I heart Palak Paneer), you really must try Spanakopita.

Imam Baildi
Whole eggplant filled with a tomato based sauce
S$17.80

The only reason I ordered this was because I want to compare their Imam Baildi with the Imam Baildi I had in Alaturka Restaurant (Kampong Glam). The Imam Baildi in Alaturka really made me smile and I want to know if Blu Kouzina's Imam Baildi will do the same way. It was amazing. Soft and full of flavor, wonderful combination with the feta cheese. I would really recommend people trying this. However, I still prefer the one I had in Alaturka :(


Bifteki stin Sxara 
2 Beef patties grilled and served with lemon, onion, tomatoes, and roast potatoes
S$21.80

While I do not really fancy beef patties, I ordered this out of curiousity. and it turned out to be pretty good. It was a straight forward and no nonsense food. The beef was cooked just right and not overcooked. The flavor was okay, however, I expected more from this dish, I was wishing for some twist, but I guess the description has already explained pretty much of it.

Kotopoulo* sto Fourno me Patates
Full baby roast kotopoulo in the oven with potatoes, lemon, extra virgin olive oil and oregano
S$25.80

Ah-mazing, highlight of the day. Really, really loved it. While the appearance did not show any fanciness, just a plain traditional-home-cooked meal look, it was actually really good. *For you who do not know what Kotopoulo is, it means chicken in Greek. The chicken was undoubtedly excellent! When I cut in the chicken meat, it was smooth, so soft and tender. The overall taste was flavorful, with a hint of sourness, which I absolutely love. It was also nice how they use potatoes in this dish, perfecto!

Bougatsa
Greek breakfast pastry consisting of custard filling between layers of phyllo
S$13.80

Now, the last time I was here and I ate this, it was unbelievable and I wanted a second portion! It tasted so good, warm, and sweet. This second time visit, I ordered this again. It was different, still good, but different. The custard was not as soft and fluffy, the texture was thicker. But overall, I'd really recommend other people to try this heartwarming dish.

In my opinion, this restaurant is quite pricey, but since I rarely eat Greek food, I feel that the price is worth it. I also recommend you to try their Baklava (Phyllo pastry filled with walnuts and topped with home made syrup), another great choice for dessert.

893 Bukit Timah Rd
Singapore, 589615
Phone: 6875 0872
Opening hours:
Lunch: Fri - Sun 12pm - 2.30pm
Dinner: Mon - Sun 6pm - 10pm
www.blukouzina.com

Price: $$$
Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment