Sunday, March 8, 2015

Bunga Rampai Restaurant at Jakarta, Indonesia




Hey you guys! It's been a while since I updated the blog. Today, I'm gonna talk about my trip to Jakarta, Indonesia. A few days before I fly to Jakarta, I told my brother (my eating partner besides my boyfriend) that I want to eat at this restaurant that everyone has been talking about, Bunga Rampai Restaurant.

Once I arrived at Soekarno Hatta International Airport, my brother picked me up and directly bring me to the restaurant for lunch. I right away made a reservation while we were on the way to the restaurant and we managed to get a table for two, guess it was not that crowded in the afternoon.

The first impression that I had when I got there, must be the impression they want to convey to the audience: the Dutch colonial look. Even the parking attendants dress like someone who came out of Indonesia history textbooks.

Level 1
Level 1



We were being seated at level 1, the overall interior and architecture design look undoubtedly vintage and luxurious with a touch of modernity here and there. 
Level 2












Level 3
I was actually asking if we could be seated at level 3 where from what I know, is prettier than level 1. However, the waiter told us that level 3 will only be opened for dinner. 
Okay, now let's move on to the food!





Es Bunga Rampai
Rice gruel, black sticky rice congee, banana compote, black grass jelly, Japanese mung bean flour jelly, sliced palm fruit kernel, coconut flesh, palm sugar syrup, coconut milk, and shaved ice
Rp. 41k

The Es Bunga Rampai was ordered by my brother, this is one of the Indonesian traditional cold drinks that they served, it basically tasted like a normal Ice Chendol, but with some additional ingredients and they name it Es Bunga Rampai. Despite that it was a typical and standard drink, my brother quite liked it, and I agree it was refreshing and something that sweet tooth people would love.

Es Tjantik Jelita
Coconut water, basil seed, mint leaf, coconut compote
Rp. 37.5k

I ordered Es Tjantik Jelita for my drink, the drink basically tasted like mint leaf infused coconut water with basil seed and coconut compote that's been cooked in syrup and sugar. I super love the compote, it tasted so yummy and it was thoroughly a thirst-quenching drink.

Rendang Malin Kundang
Braised tenderloin in caramelized coconut milk in West Sumatran Style
Rp. 79k

Me and my brother agree that we had to order the Rendang Malin Kundang, we'd like to see how they cook their version of rendang :D It turned out pretty well, with generous amount of portion, the flavor was rich and the spiciness was just nice, especially for foreigners, whom a few I saw eating at the restaurant. It's just the texture that I don't really like, it was too dry for me.

Iga Rawon Genjeran
Short ribs blackened soup with caramelized shallot, sliced celery, and spring onion on the top, served with jasmine rice, salty egg, mung bean sprout, chili shrimp paste relished, and shrimp crackers
Rp. 85k

Iga Rawon Genjeran is primarily short ribs served in soup that is blackened by keluak with other garnish such as what I mentioned above. I generally LOVE Rawon dish, but this one doesn't really speak to me, although I love the chilli padi dip. If they want to present rawon in a more upgraded style, they should see what Merah Putih Restaurant (bali) did with their own interpretation of Rawon. Or maybe the two just have different concept of dining experience.

Palumara Bunaken
Boneless milkfish in traditional turmeric broth with green tomato, bilimbi fruit, lemon basil, and bird eye chili
Rp. 95k

Palumara Bunaken looks like something that my mom would cook at home, but this one is different. The fish was absolutely amazing, the skin was crispy, the meat was soft, it was perfect. The soup was just nice, but I prefer it to be a little more sour, but that's just my preference.

Tahu Telor
Tofu omelette with julienne of cabbage and carrot, mung bean sprout, served with soya sauce mixed with black shrimp paste
Rp. 60.5k

I admire how they can manage this dish to look quite more appealing than it generally looks. It looks pretty neat and yummy in my opinion, really makes people want to quickly dig in and have a bite. And I was not dissapointed by the taste either, eventhough I've eaten other Tahu Telor that is better than this, nevertheless, this dish still live up to my expectation. Oh, and look at the portion! How generous!


Nasi Buketan
Steamed aromatic pandan leave rice served with diced omelette, beef skewer, galangal and turmeric fried chicken, potato and shrimp light curry, corn fritter, sweet soya bean cake fritter, sweet potato chip, served with chilli bilimbi fruit peanut sauce, and shrimp crackers 
Rp. 95k

Actually, our Nasi Buketan came out very late, we had to ask the waitress quite a few times before it actually came to our table. Then when it finally arrived, we were so dissatisfied because of how ordinary it was. Although I like some of the side dish on this plate, but overall there was nothing exciting from this dish. 

Special Set Menu for Valentine season
I honestly feel that their menu contains too many types of dish. And although I genuinely love the overall concept of this restaurant, there were still a couple of hit and miss ranging from their food, service, and price. It was expensive, but I might come back someday if I ever bring any foreigner guest from overseas.

Bunga Rampai
Jalan Teuku Cik Ditiro
No. 35, Menteng, Jakarta Pusat
DKI Jakarta, 10310, Indonesia

Phone: +6221 31926225
Opening hours (Daily): 11am - 11pm

Price: $$$$$
Rating: 7/10

2 comments: