Monday, July 13, 2015

Bacchanalia - Singapore Restaurant of the Year 2015


Bacchanalia has been voted as Singapore Restaurant of the Year 2015. Behind the success, there is the executive chef of the restaurant, Chef Ivan Brehm, who was once working for Thomas Keller, Heston Blumenthal, and Claude Bosi. Their new title has made me curious and decided to try their food.

Gin & Tonic
Tanqueray No. TEN, Grapefruit & Elderflower Ice, East Imperial Burma Tonic
S$22

The Gin & Tonic is their signature drink. I always order gin & tonic everytime I go out for a drink, and I can say that they have successfully created a unique gin & tonic. Now it becomes one of my favourite drinks. :)


HD Scallops
Norwegian Hand Dived Scallops, Borlotti Beans, Kalix Caviar, Cacao
S$37

The HD Scallops were quite extraordinary, it's very rich, but at the same time not too overpowering. I like the combinations of each ingredients, they compliment each other. The overall texture was very bean-ny, soft, and squishy, it easily melted in my mouth.


Mushroom Fantasia
4 types of Mushrooms cooked 4 ways: cordycep, portobello, shimeji, & oyster mushroom with sweet corn veloute
S$18

I love eating mushrooms, I really do. I instantly became excited once I saw they have this on the menu. Although the portion was not big, but the whole thing was satisfying. I especially love the shimeji and cordycep. The combination between crispy portobellos and smooth soft sweet corn veloute is also not to be missed. I had never tried cordycep before so this was my first time, in a glance, it looked like fried noodle.


Calamari Grenobloise
Grilled Calamari, Chayote Squash, Hasselback Potatoes, Artichoke Puree, Sauce Grenobloise
S$34

I've always been a fan of grilled calamari. I will order grilled calamari in any place I eat if they have any. Although I've tasted better grilled calamari, I must say they did quite a good job with their Calamari Grenobloise. The calamari cooked perfectly, however, I just prefer it to be more smokey or burnt.


Barramundi
Aged Barramundi poached in Red Cabbage, Blueberry, & Wasabi Fluid Gel, Pickled Purple Kohlrabi
S$35

I don't really like to eat barramundi, as I dislike its texture when grilled. But, aged barramundi? I never tried it before, so let's order! And it did not disappoint me, as I love the texture and taste, although in my opinion, the sauce was a little bit off.


Steak & Sauce Rossini
365 Days Grain Fed Petit Tender, Cauliflower Mushroom, Celeriac, Foie Gras, Red Wine Jus, Potato Crisp
S$38

I'm not sure how the beef was different with other kinds of beef, but it was certainly tender and juicy. The overall plate was nothing exceptional, just a good ol' steak with red wine juice.

Overall, I think Bacchanalia has a good balance between the hits and misses. I'd love to visit the restaurant again when they have another range of food to try. Also, love their Gin & Tonic!


Bacchanalia
23A Coleman Street, 179806
Phone: 6504 1453
Opening Hour:
Dinner:
Mon - Thu: 6pm - 12am
Fri - Sat: 6pm - 2am
Lunch:
Fri: 12pm - 3pm
www.bacchanalia.asia


No comments:

Post a Comment